Posters from the Galerie Beyeler epoch
In 1952, when Ernst Beyeler renamed the print and antiquarian bookshop that he had been running for several years the “Galerie Beyeler”, he laid the foundations for an unparalleled career as an art dealer and collector. The most important Expressionist painters were well represented, as were Käthe Kollwitz, Edvard Munch and Alexei von Jawlensky. Masterpieces of French graphic art of the 19th and 20th century were also an established part of the range, along with works by contemporary and local artists, whereby over the course of the years French peinture increasingly set the tone. The gallery’s summer exhibitions were soon attracting not only local clients, but increasing numbers of international visitors. Bearing witness to this epoch—and not unmarked, in some cases, by the passage of time—are various original exhibition posters, of which a small number are still available.